Tuesday, September 21, 2010

1918

    Today at the ripe age of 22, I received  a degree in Zoology at the University of Neuchâtel. I finished my natural science studies in 1916, but now I have a doctoral degree for my research on mollusks.Just a few years ago when I was 15, I wrote an article, which led to a job offer at a natural history museum in Geneva, Switzerland. I couldn't accept the job because I wanted to continue with my education. I can still remember when I first became interested in mollusks. I wrote many papers on them. I remember how I had to keep my age a secret when I submitted them to magazines so they could get published. Many of the editors thought that an author that was young had very little credibility  
    When I was young, my obsession with mollusks was such that I wrote a letter to the curator of  a local museum to ask if I could access its collection after hours. The curator gave me permission and I became a regular visitor. The curator and I became good friends. I was very pleased when I got a job there at the Nuechâtel’s Museum of Natural History. My work was well known among European students. They assumed I was an adult!
   I also remember how sick I became while I attended the university.I got sick because I was constantly writing and studying. I got so sick  that I had to take a break and retire to the mountains for a year in order to recover from my sickness. Fortunately, I recovered and, like I've already mentioned, I have my degree now.
                                
                                                                                                                  
                                                                                                                
mollusk
                                                        
Jean Piaget